Advanced printing option: Universal Printer
The RDS-WebAccess Universal Printer offers you a great ability: to print documents from any PC and any mobile device.
Universal Printer Manager
Since the release of RDS-WebAccess version 12, the Universal Printer Manager has its own tab:
All required tools are gathered here to install, uninstall, display and handle the Universal Printer options. This tool enable administrators to foresee and help users facing printing difficulties.
Information can be found at the top concerning the current universal printer status:
This tool enables administrators to help users with dynamic printing requirements.
Information can be found at the top concerning the current universal printer status: You can check if the newest version, which uses GhostScript, is installed. You can see if the printer is ready. And you can verify that the printer is set to default.
The Buttons below allow you to:
- Install the Universal Printer (which uses CUSTPDF), which is the old printer, before RDS-WebAccess version 9 .
- Install the New Universal Printer (which uses Ghostscript), which is more stable with more printing format support.
- Remove the Universal Printer.
- Set it as default printer.
- View Printer: Opens a window where you can see the status of your printing documents, pause, resume or cancel the print job.. You can also set your printing preferences and properties.
- Universal Printer Properties: Opens this window, where you can see all the printing properties. After the General Tab, there are tabs for sharing, ports, advanced, color management, security and device settings.
On the Printer Manager tile, you can also set the Paper size for printing to A4 or Letter.
Printing with the Universal Printer
Each print is opened as soon as it is ready on the user's local disk, without waiting for the previous Acrobat preview to be closed. Besides, the printing process starts only once the PDF is fully created on the client' side, which warrantees a printing without delay.
When selecting this printer, the document to print is automatically converted into a PDF file:
This PDF file is automatically pushed to the local PDF Reader of the user's workstation.
Each print job is opened as soon as it is ready on the user's local disk, without waiting for the previous Acrobat preview to be closed. The printing process starts only once the PDF is fully created on the client' side, which guarantees the print job starting without delay.
You can choose from 3 printing options when you wish to print a document in your session:
- Local PDF Reader preview: the document will be pushed and the local Acrobat Reader will open with the generated PDF file. The user can print it, or save a copy on his local disk drive.
- Print on the user's default printer: the document will be automatically pushed to the default user's printer (the local printing driver is included into the RDS-WebAccess connection client).
- Select a local printer: The user can select one of his local printer (the local printing driver is included into the RDS-WebAccess connection client).
If you do not have a PDF Reader installed on your machine, we recommend the use of Foxit Reader.
Customize page format printing
If you want to have a specific page format and your printer is not compatible with printer redirection, you can set the Universal Printer page format by opening the Devices and Printers menu of the Control Panel. Right click on the Universal Printer, then click on Properties:
Click on Preferences, then on Advanced:
Go to Ghostscript PDF Advanced Document Settings / Paper Output / Paper size / PostScript Custom Page. Finally, click on Edit Customized Page Size and enter your preferred settings. This is especially helpful with receipt and label printers.